The draft is expected to go on as planned. So, teams will soon have to decide who they are going to take and when. Who goes where in the first round is what people will be paying the most attention to—and betting on.
Fans can put money down on who will go with the first pick in the draft. Many books are also taking action on the second pick. Neither are hard to predict. Cincinnati is going to take Joe Burrow, and the Redskins are going with Chase Young.
As could be expected for two such obvious selections, the odds are pretty short. But what about the first three selections? Do you think you know who the Bengals, Redskins, and Lions are going to take?
If so, then DraftKings has the wager for you:
- Exact Outcome of First 3 Overall Picks
- 1. Joe Burrow 2.Chase Young 3.Jeffrey Okudah +225
- 1. Joe Burrow 2.Chase Young 3.Tua Tagovailoa +300
- 1. Joe Burrow 2.Tua Tagovailoa 3.Chase Young +300
- 1. Joe Burrow 2.Tua Tagovailoa 3.Jeffrey Okudah +1100
- 1. Joe Burrow 2.Chase Young 3.Isaiah Simmons +1200
- 1. Joe Burrow 2.Chase Young 3.Justin Herbert +1400
- 1. Joe Burrow 2.Tua Tagovailoa 3.Justin Herbert +1400
- 1. Joe Burrow 2.Chase Young 3.Derrick Brown +2500
- 1. Tua Tagovailoa 2.Joe Burrow 3.Chase Young +2500
- 1. Joe Burrow 2.Tua Tagovailoa 3.Isaiah Simmons +3300
- 1. Joe Burrow 2.Chase Young 3.Jordan Love +5000
- 1. Joe Burrow 2.Tua Tagovailoa 3.Jordan Love +5000
- 1. Tua Tagovailoa 2.Chase Young 3.Joe Burrow +5000
- 1. Joe Burrow 2.Tua Tagovailoa 3.Derrick Brown +6600
- 1. Tua Tagovailoa 2.Chase Young 3.Jeffrey Okudah +8000
- 1. Tua Tagovailoa 2.Joe Burrow 3.Jeffrey Okudah +8000
- 1. Tua Tagovailoa 2.Joe Burrow 3.Justin Herbert +8000
- 1. Tua Tagovailoa 2.Chase Young 3.Justin Herbert +25000
So— which trio should you bet on?
Last year it looked like Tua Tagovailoa was a lock to go No. 1, but his hip injury would have put an end to that dream if the emergence of Joe Burrow didn’t. Burrow is as close to a sure thing as there ever has been to go No. 1.
As for the No. 2 selection, some think the Redskins are ready to throw in the towel on Dwayne Haskins already. If that is indeed the case, then Tagovailoa is the likely choice for the No. 2 pick. But more than likely, they are going to give Haskins another year and take Chase Young.
But who goes with the No. 3 pick is more of a mystery. The Lions may want to think about life after Matthew Stafford and go wit Tagovailoa. But they have not shown any interest in doing so. This has led many to believe they will improve their defense.
Of course, if the Redskins are foolish enough to take Tagovailoa with the No. 2 pick, they will go with Chase Young (+300). Otherwise, they are expected to go with either Ohio State cornerback Jeff Okudah, Auburn defensive tackle Derrick Brown or Clemson hybrid Isaiah Simmons.
Rumor has it that the Lions are trying to trade down. The only reason someone would want up would be to grab Tagovailoa. If the Dolphins get spooked and don’t think he’ll still be there at No. 5, they may pull the trade trigger.
So—who should you roll with?
Go with a trio that starts with Burrow and Young. As for the third person, Okudah (+300) is a solid choice, as is Simmons (+1200), or Brown (+2500). With the free-agent additions they have made, they are likely going to go with the best player –which will be Okudah.