Is Betting On The Giants Drafting Dwayne Haskins A Good Idea?

Is Betting On The Giants Drafting Dwayne Haskins A Good Idea?

Eli Manning was a good quarterback back in the day, but it has been a few years since he could truthfully be called ‘good.’ His lackluster performance last season has had many convinced that the Giants will finally draft his heir apparent this year. For many, it has been clear and remains clear who the Giants are going to take.

With the No. 6 pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the New York Giants are going to select Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins.

According to 888sport, the odds on who will take Haskins are as follows (as of April 4):

  • New York Giants +250
  • Washington Redskins +450
  • Miami Dolphins +500
  • Cincinnati Bengals +600
  • Denver Broncos +600
  • Jacksonville Jaguars +800
  • Oakland Raiders +800

The odds jump up to +2800 after that (Tampa Bay Buccaneers), but it would be shocking to see Haskins not go to one of the teams mentioned above. Expectations are so heavy on the Giants picking Haskins with the No. 6 pick that BookMaker has set the over/under on his draft position at 5.5:

  • Over -250
  • Under +180

That equates to a 71.43 percent chance that he will go with the No. 6 pick or higher. However, the probability that the Giants do take him is set at 28.57 percent. As a gambler, is that a reason to be concerned?


According to several media reports, the Giants taking Haskins is far from a lock. After the team paid Eli Manning his $5 million bonus, it became clear the Giants were comfortable going with him as their starter for the coming season. It also makes it a little less likely they use their No. 6 pick on a quarterback rather than someone who can contribute immediately.

But then a report came out that the Giants were not sold on Haskins anyway. According to ESPN’s Dianna Russini, the Giants do not think he is a good fit for the team and that they haven’t bothered to scout him much ahead of the draft.

If that isn’t enough of a red flag, there have also been reports that the Giants may be thinking of going with Drew Lock or Daniel Jones in the first round. it is not clear if they are thinking of taking Lock as early as No. 6 or if they are thinking of maybe using the No. 17 pick on him. The conversation about Jones has mentioned the No. 17 pick.

Why wait till later in the first round? As it turns out, they may be thinking of going with an edge rusher in the first round instead of a quarterback. That would be fine if the rumors about their interest in Josh Rosen amount to anything.

So—is there value in placing money on the New York Giants taking Dwayne Haskins in the NFL draft this month? Absolutely not.

There are way too many rumors floating around the Giants to trust in what any projections or analysts claim they are going to do. They could be right, but they could just as easily be wrong. There is simply way too much uncertainty surrounding the Giants intentions right now.

Related Articles