Who: Wake Forest Demon Deacons vs Rutgers Scarlet Knights
Time: December 31, 2021 11:00am EST
Venue: TIAA Bank Field – Jacksonville, FL
Wake Forest vs Rutgers Odds:
Moneyline: Wake -700 | RUT +470
Spread: Wake -15.5 (-106) | RUT +15.5 (-114)
Total: Under 62.5 (-115) | Over 62.5 (-105)
Wake Forest vs Rutgers Betting Preview
The Gator Bowl is set for New Years Eve with the Wake Forest Demon Deacons (10-3) battling the Rutgers Scarlet Knights (5-7). Wake was originally scheduled to play Texas A&M, but Rutgers stepped in after the Aggies had COVID issues.. This game will air live on ESPN.
Wake Forest is back in a bowl game for the sixth straight season and will look to end their two-game bowl losing streak. Last season, Wake lost 42-28 to Wisconsin in the Duke’s Mayo Bowl. The Deacs last won a bowl game in 2018 when they beat Memphis in the Birmingham Bowl.
Rutgers comes back to bowl season for the first time since their 2014 Quick Lane Bowl win over North Carolina. The Scarlet Knights made six bowls in Greg Schiano’s first tenure and should expect this to be a normal tenure in his second stint.
Below is my pick, and preview, for the battle between the Wake Forest Demon Deacons and Rutgers Scarlet Knights.
Wake Forest vs Rutgers Betting Stats
- The total has gone OVER in 6 of Wake Forest’s last 9 games.
- Wake Forest are 10-3 SU in their last 13 games.
- Wake Forest are 7-3 SU in their last 10 games this season.
- Wake Forest are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games against an opponent in the Big Ten conference.
- Wake Forest are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 games played in December.
- Wake Forest are 7-1 SU in their last 8 games played on a Friday.
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Wake Forest’s last 6 games when playing as the favorite.
- Rutgers are 2-6 ATS in their last 8 games.
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Rutgers’ last 7 games.
- Rutgers are 2-7 SU in their last 9 games.
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Rutgers’ last 5 games against an opponent in the Atlantic Coast conference.
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Rutgers’ last 5 games played in December.
- Rutgers are 4-2 ATS in their last 6 games played on a Friday.
- Rutgers are 1-6 SU in their last 7 games when playing as the underdog.
- Rutgers are 6-3 ATS in their last 9 games played on a Friday when playing at home.
Wake Forest vs Rutgers Betting Pick
During the regular season, the Wake Forest offense averaged 41.2 point per game and 469.1 yards per game, 307.6 through the air and 161.5 on the ground. Defensively, the Deacs allowed 30.3 points and 423.8 yards, 221.8 passing and 202.0 rushing. Wake ended their regular season with a 45-21 loss to Pitt in the ACC Championship game.
The Rutgers offense averaged 20.5 points per game and 312.7 yards per game, 172.0 through the air and 140.7 on the ground. Defensively, the Scarlet Knights allowed 24.6 points and 391.6 yards, 229.2 passing and 162.4 rushing. Rutgers ended their regular season with a 40-16 home loss to Maryland/
Wake vs Rutgers Series History: Wake Forest has won the only two meetings against Rutgers, with the last game taking place in 1999.