In a Texas showdown, the San Antonio Spurs will take on the Dallas Mavericks. This is a battle between the two weaker teams in the state (Houston reigns supreme), but it should still make for a competitive match. San Antonio is in a free fall, while Dallas look to regain lost ground and increase their win percentage. Both teams will be clawing for a win tonight, making it a great game to bet on.
San Antonio Spurs (5-8) @ Dallas Mavericks (7-5)
The Spurs certainly started the season strong with their 3 straight wins, but it has been a pure disaster ever since. This is slightly shocking considering that they’ve had their rising young star in DeJounte Murray. Perhaps this Spurs team is just a little too old and not talented enough to compete like the Duncan era Spurs. Maybe the rest of the league is just too talented for San Antonio to keep up. There’s also a chance that they bounce back and start winning games again. Tonight will give us a good indicator of where this team might be headed.
- In their last 8 games, San Antonio has won only 1 game and are currently on a 5-game losing streak.
- The Spurs are just 1-4 on the road this year.
- 7 different players are scoring in double digits, including DeRozan (8), Aldridge (18.5), Forbes (14.3), Mills (12.0), Gay (11.4), Murray (10.8), and White (10.5).
- LaMarcus Aldridge is having a decent year, but he must be better if the Spurs are going to win games. He is coming off a 30 point, 13 rebound performance in their loss to Portland. Nonetheless, LMA is averaging 0 points on 58.6% shooting in wins, but just 14.4 points on 46.5% shooting in losses.
- San Antonio has few strengths, but rebounding is one of them. They are 5th in the league for rebounds per game (5), while they are 8th-best at limiting opponent rebounds (44.3).
- One glaring weakness is their defense. They are 8th-worst for opponent points per game (5) and field goal percentage (46.9%) and 11th-worst for 3-point percentage (36.1%).
- The Spurs have covered the point spread just once in the last 5 games and are just 3-7 in their last 10.
The Mavericks look like a pretty good team this year, thanks to the improved play of their young superstar. They’ve faltered a little bit in their recent games, but that is understandable for a team based around young talent. Luka will definitely need his co-star to step up and help him if the Mavs want to make the playoffs this year. They might be in for a rough game tonight as the Spurs will be desperate to stop the bleeding.
- Dallas won their last game against Toronto, but are just 2-3 in their last 5 including a pair of losses to one of the league’s worst teams, the Knicks.
- The Mavericks are an even 3-3 at home this year.
- Luka Doncic continues to have an insanely impressive year, averaging 5 points, 10.7 rebounds, 9.1 assists, and 1.3 steals at just 20 years old!
- His european sidekick, Kristaps Porzingis, has been a little disappointing. He is averaging 6 points, 8.8 rebounds, and 2.4 blocks, but on an inefficient 39.7% shooting.
- Dallas has a pretty solid offense, ranking 10th for scoring per game (8), 4th for free throw attempts (26.6), and 4th for fewest turnovers (13.1).
- Their problem is an inconsistent defense. They are in the middle of the league for opponent scoring (9) and field goal percentage (45.9%), but 7th-worst for 3-point shooting (36.6%) and 4th-best for fewest free throw attempts (19.9).
- The Mavs covered the point spread last game and twice in the last five. They are 4-6 in their last 10 games.
Pick: San Antonio Spurs +4.5
The Mavericks do have the better record this year, but the Spurs are still a potent team that shouldn’t be taken lightly. Luka Doncic is a madman, but he can’t do it all alone and he needs his co-star to step up. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like that will happen against a team like the Spurs. Expecting a Gregg Popovich-led team to lose 6 games in a row is downright bonkers and it hasn’t happened in 8 years. You should take the points and bet on the San Antonio Spurs to win tonight.