Washington Nationals

Washington Nationals

May 2, 2024

Texas Rangers

Texas Rangers
  • Overview
  • Consensus
  • Stats
  • Odds
  • Trends

Washington Nationals vs Texas Rangers Betting Pick, Prediction & Preview

  • Date: May 2, 2024
  • Venue: Globe Life Field
  • Starting Pitchers:
    • Mitchell Parker - Nationals
    • Nathan Eovaldi - Rangers

Betting Odds

Moneyline: Nationals 175, Rangers -205
Runline: Nationals 1.5 -120, Rangers -1.5 100
Over/Under Total: 8 -110

Washington Nationals vs Texas Rangers Win Probabilities

Implied Win %: Projected Win %:
Washington Nationals - 35% Washington Nationals - 32.98%
Texas Rangers - 65% Texas Rangers - 67.02%

Implied Win % in sports betting represent the probability of an outcome as suggested by the betting odds. It's a way for bettors to gauge the likelihood of an event occurring based on the odds offered by sportsbooks.

Projected Win %, also known as projected win probability, is an estimate by ATS.io to determine the likelihood that a team will win a game or event. This projection is often based on various factors such as team performance, statistics, and historical data.

Washington Nationals vs Texas Rangers Game Preview & Prediction

On May 2, 2024, the Texas Rangers will face off against the Washington Nationals at Globe Life Field. As the home team, the Texas Rangers will be looking to continue their above-average season, with a record of 16-15. On the other hand, the Washington Nationals are having an average season, with a record of 15-15.

The Rangers are projected to start Nathan Eovaldi, a right-handed pitcher. According to our advanced-stat Power Rankings, Eovaldi is the #68 best starting pitcher in MLB, which indicates he is above average. He has started 6 games this year and has a Win/Loss record of 1-2. Eovaldi currently boasts an excellent ERA of 3.00, but his 3.99 xFIP suggests that he may not be able to sustain this level of performance going forward.

Opposing Eovaldi will be Mitchell Parker, a left-handed pitcher for the Nationals. While Parker has a perfect Win/Loss record of 2-0 and an excellent ERA of 1.69, his 2.92 xFIP indicates that he may have been fortunate in his performances thus far.

In terms of offensive production, the Rangers rank as the #10 best team in MLB this season, with a strong team batting average and home run ranking of #2 and #5, respectively. However, their stolen base ranking is quite low at #25. On the other hand, the Nationals rank as the #18 best team in MLB, with a solid team batting average ranking of #6, but a low ranking of #29 in team home runs.

When analyzing the pitching matchup, Eovaldi's high groundball rate may work in favor of the Nationals, who have one of the least powerful offenses in terms of home runs. However, Eovaldi's high walk rate may not be fully exploited by the impatient Nationals' offense. On the other hand, Parker's ability to induce groundballs may give him an advantage against the powerful Rangers' offense, but his low walk rate may not be fully capitalized upon by the patient Rangers' lineup.

Considering the implied win probability, the Rangers are the favorites with a moneyline of -205 and an implied win probability of 65%. The Nationals, as underdogs, have a moneyline of +175 and an implied win probability of 35%.

With both teams having their strengths and weaknesses, this game has the potential for an exciting matchup. The Rangers will rely on their strong offense, while the Nationals will look to take advantage of Eovaldi's peripherals and their own ability to put the ball in play. It will be interesting to see how these factors play out in this interleague contest.

Quick Takes Washington Nationals:

Mitchell Parker's 2149-rpm fastball spin rate this year is in the 21st percentile among all starters.

  • Spin rate is a key component to fastball success in generating strikeouts and preventing runs.

Luis Garcia has primarily hit in the back-half of the lineup this year (50% of the time), but he is penciled in 4th in the batting order in this matchup.

  • The higher in the order a player bats, the more plate appearances he will get and the more opportunities he will get to hit the Over for every market. A player who hits higher in the order than he normally does may provide extra value opportunity since the market may be based on him hitting lower.

It may be best to expect worse numbers for the Washington Nationals offense going forward, given that the leading projection system (THE BAT X) believes they are the 5th-luckiest offense in Major League Baseball this year.

  • When teams overperform their projected talent level, markets may overvalue them even while they are likely to perform worse in the near future.

Quick Takes Texas Rangers:

Nathan Eovaldi has been given more leash than the typical pitcher this year, recording 5.7 more adjusted pitches-per-game than the average hurler.

  • Pitchers with a longer leash are more likely to go deeper into games and record more outs.

The Washington Nationals don't have any same-handed RPs in their bullpen, so Corey Seager is guaranteed to never face a bullpen mismatch all game.

  • Hitters perform worse against pitchers of the same handedness (i.e. righty-vs-righty), and being able to avoid those matchups against the bullpen boosts performance and creates hidden edge.

Texas Rangers hitters as a group rank among the elite in the league since the start of last season (2nd-) when assessing their 89.8-mph average exit velocity.

  • Hitting the ball hard increases the chances of either a home run or the ball landing in fair territory for a hit before a fielder can get to it.

Game Trends

  • The Texas Rangers have hit the Run Line in 79 of their last 145 games (+15.35 Units / 8% ROI)
  • The Washington Nationals have hit the Moneyline in 45 of their last 97 games (+17.25 Units / 17% ROI)
  • Luis Garcia has hit the Runs Under in his last 11 games (+11.00 Units / 56% ROI)

Washington Nationals vs Texas Rangers Prediction

Final Score: Washington Nationals 3.72 vs Texas Rangers 5.11

Get daily MLB picks here.

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our best bets every week!

*By clicking the "Subscribe" button, you agree to receive promotional emails.

Consensus

Stats

Odds