Washington Nationals vs Cleveland Guardians Prediction & Picks 6/2/2024

Washington Nationals

Washington Nationals

Jun 2, 2024

Cleveland Guardians

Cleveland Guardians
  • Overview
  • Consensus
  • Stats
  • Odds
  • Trends

Washington Nationals vs Cleveland Guardians Betting Pick, Prediction & Preview

  • Date: June 2, 2024
  • Venue: Progressive Field
  • Starting Pitchers:
    • Jake Irvin - Nationals
    • Carlos Carrasco - Guardians

Betting Odds

Moneyline: Nationals 130, Guardians -150
Runline: Nationals 1.5 -165, Guardians -1.5 140
Over/Under Total: 8.5 -110

Washington Nationals vs Cleveland Guardians Win Probabilities

Implied Win %: Projected Win %:
Washington Nationals - 42% Washington Nationals - 41.97%
Cleveland Guardians - 58% Cleveland Guardians - 58.03%

Implied Win % in sports betting represent the probability of an outcome as suggested by the betting odds. It's a way for bettors to gauge the likelihood of an event occurring based on the odds offered by sportsbooks.

Projected Win %, also known as projected win probability, is an estimate by ATS.io to determine the likelihood that a team will win a game or event. This projection is often based on various factors such as team performance, statistics, and historical data.

Washington Nationals vs Cleveland Guardians Betting Preview

In a highly anticipated Interleague matchup, the Cleveland Guardians will host the Washington Nationals at Progressive Field on June 2, 2024. The Guardians, currently boasting a stellar record of 39-19, are having a fantastic season, while the Nationals have struggled with a below-average record of 26-31.

Taking the mound for the Guardians is right-handed pitcher Carlos Carrasco, who has had mixed results this year. Despite a 2-4 win/loss record and a less-than-ideal ERA of 5.16, Carrasco's underlying statistics suggest that he has been unlucky and is likely to perform better going forward. His 4.56 xFIP is significantly lower than his ERA, indicating potential improvement in his performances.

On the other side, the Nationals will rely on right-handed pitcher Jake Irvin. While he has posted a respectable 3.43 ERA this season, his 4.25 xERA suggests that he may have been fortunate and could face some challenges moving forward. Irvin's performance will be crucial for the Nationals if they aim to compete against the Guardians.

When it comes to offensive prowess, the Guardians hold the advantage. Ranking as the 10th best offense in MLB, Cleveland has displayed a solid batting average this season, though their home run count is the lowest in the league. However, they compensate for this with strong stolen base numbers, ranking 7th in the league. The Nationals, on the other hand, have struggled offensively, ranking 26th overall.

Adding to the Guardians' advantage is their bullpen, which ranks as the 3rd best in the league according to advanced-stat Power Rankings. Conversely, the Nationals' bullpen ranks near the bottom at 28th.

In terms of betting odds, the Guardians are considered the favorite with a moneyline of -140, implying a 56% chance of winning. The Nationals are the underdog with a moneyline of +120 and a 44% implied win probability. THE BAT X, the leading MLB projection system, gives the Guardians a projected win probability of 59%, further supporting their favoritism.

While the numbers and projections suggest a clear advantage for the Guardians, baseball is a game known for its unpredictability. The Nationals have the opportunity to surpass expectations and challenge the Guardians' dominance. As the game unfolds, fans and bettors alike will eagerly watch the action and see which team comes out on top.

Quick Takes Washington Nationals:

Jake Irvin has averaged 92.9 adjusted pitches per start this year, ranking in the 79th percentile.

  • Pitchers who average more pitches per game are more likely to go deeper into games and record more outs.

The Washington Nationals projected lineup profiles as the 4th-weakest of the day in terms of overall batting ability.

  • A pitcher who faces a weak opposing offense will be more likely to exceed his usual performance, particularly in terms of hits and runs, in that game.

Quick Takes Cleveland Guardians:

Carlos Carrasco's change-up percentage has fallen by 8.2% from last year to this one (29.9% to 21.7%) .

  • Because change-ups are one of the most effective pitches to use, a pitcher who alters his pitch mix to use them less often may see less success as a result, particularly if he uses his fastball more instead.

Tyler Freeman is penciled in 7th in the lineup in this matchup, which would be a downgrade from his 61% rate of hitting in the top-half of the lineup this season.

  • The lower in the order a player bats, the fewer plate appearances he will get and the fewer opportunities he will get to hit the Over for every market. A player who hits lower in the order than he normally does may provide extra value opportunity since the market may be based on him hitting higher.

The Cleveland Guardians bullpen profiles as the 2nd-best in baseball, according to the leading projection system (THE BAT).

  • Most bettors only consider the starting pitcher, but a strong bullpen sneakily creates a tougher matchup for the opposing offense and suppresses a game's runs.

Game Trends

  • The Cleveland Guardians have hit the Moneyline in 18 of their last 23 games at home (+11.27 Units / 36% ROI)
  • The Washington Nationals have hit the Run Line in 22 of their last 34 games (+9.00 Units / 20% ROI)
  • Jose Ramirez has hit the RBIs Over in 26 of his last 43 games (+16.95 Units / 39% ROI)

Washington Nationals vs Cleveland Guardians Prediction

Final Score: Washington Nationals 4.37 vs Cleveland Guardians 4.89

Check out all our free picks on every MLB game daily in our MLB betting section.

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our best bets every week!

*By clicking the "Subscribe" button, you agree to receive promotional emails.

Consensus

Moneyline Pick Consensus

+114
12% WSH
-133
88% CLE

Total Pick Consensus

8.0/-108
12% UN
8.0/-112
88% OV

Spread Pick Consensus

+1.5/-175
3% WSH
-1.5/+145
97% CLE

Stats

  • Team Stats
  • Team Records
  • Pitchers
  • Recent Starts
WSH
Team Stats
CLE
4.88
ERA
3.76
.265
Batting Avg Against
.240
1.45
WHIP
1.27
.300
BABIP
.286
9.4%
BB%
8.3%
19.5%
K%
21.3%
72.7%
LOB%
74.3%
.259
Batting Avg
.250
.400
SLG
.380
.719
OPS
.693
.319
OBP
.313
WSH
Team Records
CLE
23-24
Home
31-14
24-29
Road
28-26
31-39
vRHP
39-33
16-14
vLHP
20-7
25-41
vs>.500
26-19
22-12
vs<.500
33-21
5-5
Last10
3-7
9-11
Last20
8-12
13-17
Last30
15-15
J. Irvin
C. Carrasco
90.2
Innings
N/A
18
GS
N/A
3-5
W-L
N/A
4.76
ERA
N/A
7.35
K/9
N/A
3.57
BB/9
N/A
1.69
HR/9
N/A
74.4%
LOB%
N/A
14.0%
HR/FB%
N/A
5.46
FIP
N/A
5.21
xFIP
N/A
.258
AVG
N/A
18.6%
K%
N/A
9.0%
BB%
N/A
4.98
SIERA
N/A

J. Irvin

Date
Opp
W/L
IP
H
R
ER
SO
BB
ST-PC

C. Carrasco

Date
Opp
W/L
IP
H
R
ER
SO
BB
ST-PC
5/3 ATL
Wright N/A
W3-0 N/A
8
6
0
0
5
2
68-96
4/27 STL
Matz N/A
L5-10 N/A
3.2
9
8
8
3
2
53-78
4/21 SF
DeSclafani N/A
W6-2 N/A
7.2
4
2
2
7
0
61-91
4/16 ARI
Gallen N/A
L2-3 N/A
5
3
0
0
8
2
53-82
4/10 WSH
Fedde N/A
L2-4 N/A
5.2
2
1
1
5
0
50-72

Odds

  • MoneyLine
  • RunLine
  • Over/Under
Open
Current
Book
WSH CLE
WSH CLE
Consensus
+130
-156
+114
-133
+124
-148
+110
-130
+132
-156
+112
-132
+132
-155
+117
-137
+130
-155
+115
-135
+125
-155
+115
-135
Open
Current
Book
WSH CLE
WSH CLE
Consensus
+1.5 (-181)
-1.5 (+140)
+1.5 (-181)
-1.5 (+150)
+1.5 (-180)
-1.5 (+140)
+1.5 (-180)
-1.5 (+150)
+1.5 (-196)
-1.5 (+140)
+1.5 (-196)
-1.5 (+162)
+1.5 (-182)
-1.5 (+140)
+1.5 (-182)
-1.5 (+148)
+1.5 (-170)
-1.5 (+135)
+1.5 (-170)
-1.5 (+143)
+1.5 (-185)
-1.5 (+125)
+1.5 (-185)
-1.5 (+150)
Open
Current
Book
Over Under
Over Under
Consensus
8.0 (-111)
8.0 (-109)
8.0 (-111)
8.0 (-110)
8.5 (-110)
8.5 (-110)
8.0 (-112)
8.0 (-108)
8.0 (-112)
8.0 (-108)
8.0 (-114)
8.0 (-106)
8.0 (-113)
8.0 (-108)
8.0 (-107)
8.0 (-113)
8.5 (-105)
8.5 (-115)
8.0 (-110)
8.0 (-110)
8.5 (-115)
8.5 (-105)
8.0 (-110)
8.0 (-110)