Welcome to your ultimate guide for New Hampshire sports betting! Are you eager to get in on the action but not sure where to start? We’ve got you covered. In this article, we’ll cover the ins and outs of sports wagering in the Granite State, including the legal landscape, top sportsbooks, latest news, and much more.
Whether you’re a seasoned bettor or brand new to the industry, our comprehensive guide will provide you with the information you need to make informed decisions and enhance your overall betting experience. From understanding the regulations and licensing requirements to exploring the most popular sports and betting markets, we’ll walk you through every aspect of New Hampshire sports betting. Now, let’s dive right in!
Is Sports Betting Legal in New Hampshire?
A little over one year after the Supreme Court overturned the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA), New Hampshire legalized sports betting on July 12, 2019 when Governor Chris Sununu signed HB 480 into law. After promising the New Hampshire Lottery 51% of its revenue, DraftKings Sportsbook secured a monopoly over the state’s sports betting market, launching online in December 2019 and at retail betting locations across the state in August 2020.
New Hampshire has the option to award licenses to additional mobile operators, but the addition of one or two platforms to the Granite State’s online betting market would drop DraftKings tax obligation down to 21%. A further drop in the tax percentage would occur if three or more sportsbooks were allowed to compete with DraftKings in the state. As a result, New Hampshire and DraftKings have a vested interest in one another, and it is unlikely for another sportsbook to launch in the state anytime soon.
New Hampshire Sports Betting Rules & Regulations
A general summary of the New Hampshire sports betting rules and regulations is provided below.
- New Hampshire requires that all sports bettors be at least 18 years or older.
- Bets can be placed on both professional and college sporting events, with the only exceptions being games involving in-state schools or college games taking place in the state of New Hampshire.
- A maximum of five online sportsbooks and 10 retail sportsbooks are allowed to operate in the state of New Hampshire.
- Voters in a town or city must first approve the launch of in-person sports betting before any retail sportsbooks can begin to operate in their jurisdiction.
- Online sports betting (currently only via DraftKings Sportsbook) must take place within the state of New Hampshire, with geolocation technology being used to verify the location of all users.
- New Hampshire is a remote registration state, meaning sports bettors can sign up for an account online from the comfort of their homes or any convenient location with internet access.
- State law allows for three distinct tiers of betting: Tier I (pregame wagering), Tier II (live betting), and Tier III (other forms of wagering). The original version of the law did not allow for in-person wagers, but the passage of HB 330 in 2021 allowed for this additional form of betting.
What Are the Best New Hampshire Sportsbooks & Betting Sites?
Online sports betting went live in the Granite State in late 2019. New Hampshire law allows for up to five mobile operators, but a single sportsbook currently holds a monopoly on the state’s sports betting market.
- Available States: AZ, CO, CT, IL, IN, IA, KS, LA, MA, MD, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, VA, WV, & WY.
- Best Feature: Variety of Betting Markets Offered
- Full Review: DraftKings Sportsbook Review
DraftKings Sportsbook is the only betting site currently authorized to operate in the state of New Hampshire. The sportsbook offers a wide range of betting options across various sports, including football, basketball, baseball, hockey, and much more.
With its user-friendly interface, competitive odds, and innovative features like live betting and daily fantasy sports integration, DraftKings Sportsbook provides an immersive and engaging platform for sports enthusiasts in New Hampshire to enjoy the thrill of sports wagering.
Other Mobile Sportsbooks
Although it is unclear if or when additional sportsbooks will enter the New Hampshire market, there is sure to be interest from several of the other top U.S. sportsbooks should an opportunity ever present itself. For example, FanDuel is a well-known sportsbook that would offer a user-friendly platform, a wide variety of betting options, and enticing promotions for New Hampshire bettors.
In addition, BetRivers Sportsbook would likely gain popularity in New Hampshire, as it provides a solid sports betting platform with competitive odds, a fantastic customer loyalty program, and a convenient mobile app. Lastly, BetMGM, a trusted and reputable sportsbook operating in many different states, would offer New Hampshire bettors competitive odds, a wide range of sports to bet on, and a user-friendly interface, along with an integrated online casino for added entertainment options.
How Can I Bet on Sports in New Hampshire?
New Hampshire sports betting enthusiasts have plenty of ways to get in on the action and join all the excitement offered by the world of sports wagering. Here are a few of the different options currently available:
As previously mentioned, online and mobile sports betting is available to New Hampshire residents through DraftKings Sportsbook. Anyone who is 18 years or older can register for an account, make a deposit, and start placing bets from anywhere in the state. DraftKings provides a user-friendly website and mobile app, exciting promotions and bonus opportunities, and a wide range of betting markets.
In addition, New Hampshire sports bettors can place bets in person at the Filotimo Casino & Restaurant in Dover, Filotimo Casino & Restaurant in Manchester, or The Brook in Seabrook. Each of these locations has partnered with DraftKings to offer an authentic in-person wagering experience and an excellent game day venue for sports fans to watch their favorite teams compete and wagers play out in real-time.
Daily Fantasy Sports
Daily fantasy sports (DFS) were legalized in New Hampshire back in 2017 and are a compelling option for sports fans in the Granite State. DraftKings, FanDuel, Underdog Fantasy, and many of the other top DFS sites are available in New Hampshire, offering a wide range of exciting contests and substantial prize pools to participants.
Betting on horse racing is also legal in New Hampshire. There are no active racetracks in the state, but you can place wagers on races taking place all over the world by visiting The Brook in Seabrook, the state’s lone off-track betting facility. In addition, you can place bets online using TwinSpires, AmWager, and several other popular horse racing betting sites.
Offshore sportsbooks can be tempting for New Hampshire sports bettors seeking additional options, but it’s crucial to exercise caution. These are online betting platforms based in countries where they operate outside of U.S. jurisdiction. While they may offer a wider selection of sports and betting markets, there are potential risks involved, such as unreliable customer support, potential legal issues, or a lack of regulation.
It’s important to thoroughly research and choose reputable offshore sportsbooks, ensuring they have a solid track record, positive user reviews, and secure payment options. However, it’s generally recommended to prioritize authorized and regulated sportsbooks within the state to ensure legal compliance, consumer protection, and a safer betting environment.
Visit Neighboring States
Lastly, if you’re interested in exploring other online or retail sportsbooks, you will always have the option to visit other U.S. states with legal betting options on sporting events. Massachusetts is a great option for sports bettors in the southern half of New Hampshire, as the Bay State offers nearly a dozen different mobile sportsbooks (DraftKings, FanDuel, Caesars, etc.) as well as retail sportsbooks in Springfield, Plainville, and several other cities across the state.
Where Can I Bet on Sports in New Hampshire?
There are currently three retail sportsbooks licensed and operating in New Hampshire: DraftKings Sportsbook at Filotimo Casino, DraftKings Sportsbook at Manchester, and DraftKings Sportsbook at The Brook. Further information about each option is provided below!
Filotimo Casino & Restaurant (Dover)
- Retail Sportsbook: DraftKings Sportsbook at Filotimo Casino
- Address: 887b Central Ave, Dover, NH 03820
- Odds Provider: SBTech
DraftKings Sportsbook at the Filotimo Casino & Restaurant (at the Dover Bowl Complex) launched in the fall of 2021 and has quickly become one of the region’s best places to watch live sporting events and bet on a variety of sports and leagues, including the NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, PGA Tour, college football, college basketball, and much more.
The site features six DraftKings self-service betting kiosks, nearly a dozen wide-screen TVs, comfortable seating, and a fully-stocked bar. Visitors are guaranteed to have a fantastic experience seeing all their favorite players and teams compete and watching their bets play out in real-time.
Filotimo Casino & Restaurant (Manchester)
- Retail Sportsbook: DraftKings Sportsbook at Manchester
- Address: 1279 South Willow Street, Manchester, NH 03103
- Odds Provider: SBTech
DraftKings Sportsbook at Filotimo in Manchester opened in September 2020, and the site offers plenty of betting kiosks, wall-to-wall TVs, and seating for both large and small groups. Just like the retail sportsbook at the Filotimo Casino & Restaurant in Dover, visitors will be able to choose from a wide range of sports as well as plenty of different types of bets (moneylines, over/under totals, point spread, futures, parlays, teasers, etc.).
The Brook (Seabrook)
- Retail Sportsbook: DraftKings Sportsbook at The Brook
- Address: 319 New Zealand Road, Seabrook, NH 03874
- Odds Provider: SBTech
DraftKings Sportsbook at The Brook opened in August 2020 and was the Granite State’s first retail sports betting location. The Brook offers stadium seating with couches, three enormous cinema screens, hundreds of individual TVs, and surround sound speakers. Customers will also be able to reserve their seats ahead of time for all their favorite sporting events and fight nights.
How To Sign Up & Start Betting in New Hampshire
Time needed: 4 minutes
Are you ready to get started? Just follow the six simple steps provided below!
- Visit DraftKings
Go to the DraftKings website or download the mobile app to get started.
- Register for an Account
Sign up by providing your personal information, such as your name, email address, and date of birth. Create a username and password for your account.
- Verify Your Information
Follow the instructions to verify your identity. This may involve providing additional documentation, such as a photo ID, to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Make Your First Deposit
Once your account is verified, proceed to make your first deposit. Choose a payment method and deposit funds into your DraftKings account to use for placing bets.
- Claim Your Welcome Offer
DraftKings often provides welcome offers or bonuses for new users. Check for any available promotions and claim them to enhance your betting experience.
- Start Placing Bets
With your account funded, you can now start placing bets on a wide range of sports and betting markets offered by DraftKings. Explore the available options, choose your bets, and enjoy the excitement of sports wagering.
What Teams Can I Bet on in New Hampshire?
New Hampshire has a lively sports culture with a strong focus on high school and collegiate sports, fostering community support and a sense of athletic camaraderie among residents. A few of the most popular teams among New Hampshire sports fans are discussed below.
Dartmouth Big Green
The Dartmouth Big Green is the athletic program representing Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire. Dartmouth fields teams in various sports, including football, basketball, soccer, hockey, and more. The Big Green competes in the Ivy League and has a dedicated fan base that supports the college’s athletic endeavors.
New Hampshire Wildcats
The New Hampshire Wildcats represent the University of New Hampshire (UNH) in Durham, New Hampshire. The Wildcats participate in various collegiate sports, including football, basketball, ice hockey, soccer, and many others. With a strong following, UNH Wildcats games often draw enthusiastic fans who cheer on their teams in the America East Conference and the Colonial Athletic Association.
The Boston Celtics, based in Boston, Massachusetts, are an NBA team that enjoys widespread support in New Hampshire. As one of the most successful franchises in NBA history, the Celtics have a rich tradition and a passionate fan base that extends beyond Massachusetts, encompassing New Hampshire and the surrounding region.
New England Patriots
The NFL’s New England Patriots play their home games in Foxborough, Massachusetts. While not located within New Hampshire itself, the Patriots have a massive fan base in the state, with many residents offering their unwavering support. The Patriots have achieved great success, winning six Super Bowl championships since 2002 and becoming an integral part of the sports culture in New Hampshire and the wider New England region.
Strategies & Tips for New Hampshire Sports Bettors
While there is no foolproof way to guarantee success in the world of sports betting, there are plenty of strategies to implement and guidelines to follow to increase your chances of coming out on top. Here are a few tips and tricks for New Hampshire sports bettors:
- Stay Informed: Keep up to date with the latest news, team updates, injuries, and other relevant information that may impact the outcome of a game. Follow reputable sports news sources, analyze trends, and consider factors like weather conditions or home-field advantage.
- Practice Proper Bankroll Management: Implementing effective bankroll management is key to long-term success in sports betting. Allocate a portion of your budget for each bet, typically around 1-5% of your total bankroll. This approach helps to mitigate losses during a losing streak and protects your overall bankroll.
- Control Your Emotions: Emotions can cloud judgment and lead to irrational decision-making. Avoid placing bets based solely on personal bias, favorite teams, or players. Instead, make objective assessments based on data, statistics, and informed analysis. Remember, successful sports betting requires a rational and disciplined approach.
- Look for Value Bets: Look for opportunities where the odds offered by a sportsbook are higher than the actual probability of the outcome occurring. This is known as finding value bets. Value can arise due to factors such as public perception, injuries, or historical head-to-head records. By identifying value bets and consistently placing them, you increase your chances of long-term profitability.
- Keep Detailed Records: Keeping track of your bets is essential for assessing your performance and identifying areas for improvement. Maintain a record of your wagers, including the date, event, type of bet, odds, stake, and result. This will help you analyze your betting patterns, identify any recurring mistakes, and make adjustments to your strategy over time.
New Hampshire Sports Betting FAQ
Yes! Online sports betting is legal in New Hampshire. DraftKings Sportsbook is currently the only mobile sportsbook available in the Granite State.
DraftKings Sportsbook currently holds a monopoly over the sports betting market in New Hampshire. However, FanDuel, BetRivers, and BetMGM are a few likely candidates to enter the state should an opportunity ever arise.
The legal age for sports betting in New Hampshire is 18 years old.
Yes! You can bet on college sporting events in New Hampshire, with the only exceptions being matchups involving in-state schools (e.g., Dartmouth College) and any college games taking place within state lines.
Yes! New Hampshire is a remote registration state, meaning sports bettors in the state can sign up for an account, make their first deposit, and start placing bets all from the comfort of their homes.