Current SEC Conference Win Odds: Updated 01/18/21
|Alabama Crimson Tide||+2000||+700|
|Ole Miss Rebels||+5000||+5000|
|South Carolina Gamecocks||+1500||+8000|
|Texas A&M Aggies||+10000||+10000|
|Mississippi State Bulldogs||+20000||+15000|
- Update 01/18/20 – This is not your normal year in the SEC with Power house Kentucky from opening favorites of -190 to +1500! Tennessee is the new favorite at +135, followed by Missouri who opened as long shots at +4000
- Updated 12/4/20 – With Tennessee yet to play a game the 1-2 Kentucky Wildcats edge up $35 as odds on favorites to with the SEC
- Despite having the second-most national championships, Kentucky has added just one championship title since 1998.
- Ole Miss and Texas A&M have never made it past the Sweet 16 round.
- Kentucky, Florida, and Arkansas are the only SEC teams to have won the national championship. No other SEC team has even made it to the championship game.
- Aside from Kentucky and Florida, Auburn, LSU, and South Carolina are the only SEC teams to have made the Final Four since 2000.
- Vanderbilt hasn’t made it past the Elite 8 since 1965.
SEC Conference History:
The Southeastern Conference, better known as the SEC, held its first men’s basketball tournament in 1933. In the inaugural tournament, the Kentucky Wildcats beat the Mississippi State Bulldogs by a score of 46-27. This was the first of Kentucky’s 31 tournament championships.
To put the number of Kentucky’s SEC tournament wins into perspective, the team with the second-most SEC men’s basketball tournament championships is Alabama with six. Missouri, South Carolina, and Texas A&M have yet to win one. South Carolina has played in two championship games while Texas A&M made it to the big game once in 2016 leaving Missouri as the only SEC men’s basketball team to never make it to the finals.
Since 2010, the Wildcats have claimed six SEC Tournament championships including a run of four straight titles between 2015 and 2018. Their tournament championship run came to an end in 2019 when they fell to Tennessee in the semifinals. The Volunteers went on to lose to Auburn who won their second SEC tournament championship. As is the case with all SEC tournament winners, the Tigers earned an automatic entry into the NCAA Tournament where they advanced to the Final Four for the first time in the school’s history.
For those who don’t know, the SEC is made up of 14 schools that play an 18-game schedule before the SEC single-elimination tournament begins. Tournament seeding is determined by the regular season standings. The bottom four seeds play in the opening round while the top four receive automatic byes into the quarterfinals. As mentioned, the tournament winner earns a spot in the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament.
SEC tournament champions have gone on to win the NCAA tournament 11 times. Of those 11 championships, Kentucky has 8 while Florida has two thanks to back-to-back tournament wins in 2006 and 2007. Arkansas won the NCAA tournament in 1994. The last SEC team to make it to the finals was Kentucky in 2014. They lost to UConn. At this point, Kentucky, Tennessee, LSU, and Florida are all legitimate contenders to make it into the Final Four of the 2021 tournament.
Win Count All-Time in Southeastern Tournament