When it comes to sports betting, buying points is a strategy that allows bettors to adjust the point spread or total score of a game to improve their chances of winning. In this article, we’ll explore what buying points in betting means, how it works on FanDuel Sportsbook, and whether it’s a good option when placing a wager.
Understanding the Point Spread At FanDuel Sportsbook
Before we dive into buying points at FanDuel Sportsbook, it’s important to understand the point spread. The point spread is a betting line that’s designed to level the playing field between two teams that are not evenly matched. The favorite team is given a negative point spread, while the underdog team is given a positive point spread.
For example, if the Indiana Pacers are playing the Boston Celtics and the point spread is -12 in favor of the Celtics, this means that the Celtics are favored to win by at least 12 points.
If you bet on the Celtics to cover the spread, they would need to win by 13 points or more for you to win your bet. If you bet on the Pacers, they would need to win the game outright or lose by 11 points or less for you to win your bet.
How To Buy Points On FanDuel Sportsbook
Buying points in betting allows you to adjust the point spread or total score of a game to improve your chances of winning. Using the same example above, if you’re betting on the Celtics at -7, you might decide to buy a half-point to -6.5. This means that the Celtics now only need to win by 7 points or more for you to win your bet. On FanDuel Sportsbook, this is done with their Alt Points option.
To access an alternative spread users need to navigate to the MORE WAGERS option for each game as outlined here:
On the next betting screen, FanDuel sportsbook will list many betting options, but the one we are looking for in this case is Alternative Spreads. Click the down arrow to expand all the spreads available for the game.
In this first example, buying 0.5 points to bet the Celtics at -11.5 is -118, costing the better 8 cents, while buying a 0.5 points on the Pacers to +12.5 is -118.
FanDuel sportsbook doesn’t stop there, users can bet an alternative spread from as little as a half point difference to up to 20 points difference. This in essence, is buy points for or against your the team you would like to bet on.
The cost of buying points varies depending on the number of points bought and the specific bet. Generally, buying a half-point will cost you 8-10% of your bet, while buying a full point will cost you up to 20%.
Pros and Cons of Buying Points At FanDuel Sportsbook
Buying points in betting can be a good strategy in certain situations, but it’s not always the best choice. Here are some pros and cons to consider:
- Improves Your Chances of Winning: Buying points can improve your chances of winning a bet, especially if you’re betting on a favorite team that’s just outside the point spread.
- Reduces Risk: Buying points can reduce your risk by lowering the point spread or total score, making it easier for your bet to win.
- Costs Extra Money: Buying points costs extra money, which can eat into your profits if you win the bet.
- Can Reduce Potential Payout: Buying points can also reduce your potential payout, especially if you’re buying multiple points.
When to Consider Buying Points
Whether or not you should buy points in betting depends on the specific situation and your personal preferences. Here are some factors to consider:
- Size of the Point Spread: Buying points can be more beneficial when the point spread is close to a key number, such as 3 or 7 in football.
- Strength of the Teams: Buying points may not be as effective if you’re betting on a heavily favored team that’s expected to win by a large margin.
- Cost of Buying Points: The cost of buying points can add up, so it’s important to consider whether the extra expense is worth the potential payout.
Final Thoughts On Buying Points At FanDuel Sportsbook
Buying points in betting is a strategy that allows you to adjust the point spread or total score of a game to improve your chances of winning. While it can be a good strategy in certain situations, the best solution is to shop odds at different sportsbooks, bet early or late to obtain the best line possible.
Find Out More About FanDuel
- What Does ALT Points Mean On FanDuel Sportsbook
- How Does Fanduel Sportsbook Work
- FanDuel Refer A Friend Bonus
- FanDuel Legal States
- FanDuel Prepaid Play+
- FanDuel Cashout
- How to Bet On the NFL at FanDuel Sportsbook: A Step-by-Step Guide
- FanDuel Florida Promo – Is FanDuel Sportsbook Legal In Florida?
- FanDuel North Carolina Promo – Is FanDuel Legal In NC?
- FanDuel Kentucky Promo Code – Is FanDuel Sportsbook Legal In Kentucky
- FanDuel Vermont Promo – Is FanDuel Sportsbook Legal In VT
Yes, bettors can buy points on Fanduel Sportsbook by selecting the Alternate Points option within each games betting market.
From the main betting screen click more bets, then click Alternative points, here you can buy a half a point up to 20 points on a side